So, I've Been Writing a Book

 I’ve been co-authoring a book with a friend for roughly one month now and there is some information I would like to share regarding my progress. More specifically, I’m writing a book about the ways the American education system can be changed on an institutional and pedagogical level. I chose to focus on these two levels because I wanted all of the book's content to be actionable, meaning I had to refrain from discussing entrenched systemic issues whose resolution is the domain of politics. 


Strangely, my inspiration for writing is my despise of the American education system, especially in its traditional modes of teaching (I think you’ll find no shortage of people who share my sentiment). After becoming a college student through the TAMS program, I’ve begun to consider a career in academia, where the concepts I develop from writing this book can pay off in professorship. 


Before committing to the book, I asked a friend of my dad’s, a published author, for advice in my endeavor. He taught me about the book publishing pipeline, which he divided into 3 steps:

1. Planning (thoroughly researching and outlining the book after pondering its purpose is vital to a book’s success)

2. Writing (actually getting the content on the paper–the most significant part of the pipeline)

3. Publishing (getting an editor, contacting publishers, marketing, etc.)

Currently, I’m working through the writing phase, constantly supplementing the content with research as I write. 


I consider myself to be a relatively productive person, but I’ll concede that remaining dedicated to finishing such a substantial personal project is, indeed, challenging. Nevertheless, I have found it effective to spend approximately one hour a day writing without distraction, accepting whatever scant, tentative mess I can spew onto the page. I imagine this method of writing will do wonders for me in the long run. 


I estimate that I will be done with the book’s manuscript within 6 months, assuming I maintain my pace. I look forward to seeing how the book turns out, but until then, I’ll keep my blog updated. 




Comments